The fact that you are reading this article proves that you have a bee in your bonnet about adventure and you’re pretty fed up by the same mundane work and life routine. Well, you’re not alone. But if you aren’t doing something about it, then my friend, you’re truly alone. Ditch that couch and get moving as we have a wonder and thrill-filled destination for you today. Skidaway island park is one of the most complete picnic and leisure destination in the whole of the United States. Located about 16 miles southeast of Savannah, Skidaway island is unique in a lot of ways and can serve as a fantastic spot to spend your evenings and afternoons after a day of stressful work and tasks. Skidaway island is referred to as the haven and Mecca for bikers, skateboarders, joggers, and golfers due to the wide variety of trails and gold courses available.
So, brace yourself for an adventure sublime as you stroll through this complete guide to Skidaway island state park.
Location and How to reach
Take a flight to Savannah airport from wherever you are in the world and then follow the below instructions to reach Skidaway Island: Skidaway Island State Park is 5 miles south of Savannah, 25 east of Tybee Island, and 125 miles south of Charleston, South Carolina. Through downtown Savannah, pick East President Road to Harry S Truman Parkway. Stay on the parkway for 8 miles to GA-204 Spur East/Whitefield Avenue. Keep going for 5 miles, then left onto Skidaway Island Park Road. The parking lot is straight ahead on the left, while the campgrounds are to the right. From Tybee Island, take US-80 W for 5 miles, then stay left to the entrance to South Harry Truman Parkway. Follow South Harry Truman Parkway for 5 miles to the GA- 204Spur/Whitefield Avenue exit, then follow directions below:-
Overview of activities in Skidaway island state park
Just downtown from Savannah, lies the Skidaway Island state park. You can do an ample number of activities here such as trail runs, hiking and walking amidst nature. There is also a provision for a vast campground and sheltered cabins which makes it convenient to spend the night at Skidaway island state park. Trails here comprise of 6 miles of fun, which are mostly flat, making them perfect for a bike ride or walks. Fresh water ponds and tidal creeks make for a lush and naturally appealing ethos. The park is a haven for birdwatchers too as the colonial coast birding trail here is home to over 300 species namely osprey and bald eagles. An observation tower over marshland gives people a chance to find fiddler crabs, egret, and deer, while the visitor centre is worth a fast stop for exhibits dedicated to local plant and animal life, including a 20-foot giant ground sloth replica and reptile room.
Hikes and Trails worth your time
The dwindling, wide trails here meander along marshland, coastal inlets, and maritime forests, perfect for finding wildlife, taking a bike ride, or an easy jog or hike. Bicycle tariffs are $6/each and are accessible at the park visitor centre.
- Sandpiper Trail Loop: The park’s most embarked upon path, the 1-mile Sandpiper Loop trailhead starts from the main parking lot and stroll over tidal creeks and salt flats through maritime forests. Its flat trails and boardwalk are great for those using wheelchairs and strollers and are used for spotting crabs, minnows, and other marsh creatures. Path highlights are an observation tower, a 1930s-era liquor station, and Civil War-era earthworks.
- Big Ferry Trail: Also emanating from the parking lot, the flat, 2-mile, daunting loop has numbered signs mentioning points of interest, including shell middens (mounds of oyster shells), abandoned antiquated liquor stills, and saltwater sloughs brimming with aquatic life. Don’t miss stop five, a boardwalk and observation tower that gives a bird’s eye view of marshlands, the Skidaway Island Narrows, and the indigenous wildlife.
- Avian Loop Trail: Spotting dolphins and ospreys has never been more interesting as it is in Skidaway Island state park. On Skidaway Island, you can also watch the coastal tides roll in and out on this one-mile loop that clingsthe Intracoastal Waterway and sandy shores of marsh creeks. Check it via the 1-mile Connector Trail or the western edge of the Sandpiper Trail.
Skidaway Island state park has a huge, well-maintained central campground equipped with cabins for campers which are made for great campsites accommodating 10 or more people. The only catch here is that reservations need to be made well in advance as people flock these campsites a lot during the year. Situated near the main parking lot and amidst live oaks and beautiful Spanish moss, the shady campgrounds have eight-seven working sites for tents, trailers, and RVs. The pet-friendly sites comprise of water, electrical, and cable hook-ups, fire rings, and access to hot baths, restrooms, and efficient laundry facilities. Some sites have sewer hook-ups, and there is an ADA-accessible campsite and restroom.
Skidaway Island also presents 3 2-bedroom cabins for campers that come equipped with televisions, airy porches, ACs and heating with indoor bathrooms. Don’t forget to carry your own bedsheets and cutlery though. An outside entertainment area is also provided that can be used for barbecuing, picnics and bonfires, creating meaningful and memorable memories that are worth every effort in the world. The camper cabins do not allow pets and have to be used by humans only. But near the connector trail in Skidaway Island, clustered in the forest, three great campgrounds are present for large groups and these sites are pet-friendly too coming with picnic shelters and other amenities but lack showers and toilets, which are to be managed in the open.
Must-know stays in Skidaway Island
Although camps sites and camper cabins are wonderful options, sometimes people search for more conventional, more-comfortable options for their stay. Owing to these demands, Skidaway Island has several types of stays, ranging from opulent and luxurious hotels to affordable AirBnB chains that take a more budget route. No matter what your budget and preference is, Skidaway Island will take good care of those volitions.
Thompson Savannah – Gracing the city’s edge of the historic district, in the Savannah river is the Thompson Savannah premises. This is a luxury and pet-friendly property that is worth your time in Skidaway Island. There is a state-of-the-art fitness centre and a rooftop bar that serves the best air. All of this is complimented with an outdoor pool and private cabanas. Rooms are adequately spacious and their service is pretty top notch. One of the best stays of Skidaway Island, all amenities combined with the scenic location, warrants a chance to say the least.
Best Western Central Inn
If you’re in Skidaway Island and don’t care for luxury and opulence, although want a clean, comfortable place to stay in on a budget, then best Western Central Inn is a great option for you. The location is very quiet and quaint which embeds a certain vibe of tranquillity in your stay without compromising on amenities as a complimentary breakfast and parking are offered. It is also a great choice for families and large groups visiting Skidaway Island.
Westin Savannah Harbour Resort and Spa
Overlooking the Savannah river, this resort is a wonderful option for families visiting Skidaway Island. With all the necessary amenities imaginable, this resort offers hiking, tennis, swimming, golfing and many other activities which will keep you and your family completely engrossed in the festivities of Skidaway Island. There is also a handy shuttle service into the Skidaway Island district which lets you enjoy museums, amusement parks and restaurants.
Helpful tips and tricks
- It is worth noting that in Skidaway Island state park, there is no boat or water access inside the park premises. The nearest boat ramp lies 2.5 miles away where there is also a bait shop, a beach and picnic spots.
- If you are a beach baby, head to Tybee Island which offers sandy beaches, exotic freshly caught seafood and bike trails, all of which make for a perfect fun getaway.
- The parking fee amounts to $5 and for more convenience, it can also be purchased online via Park pass or via QR scanning at kiosks. If you’re a seasoned visitor, then a yearly pass will benefit you the most at 50 dollars. There are also special discounts for military veterans and senior citizens so be on the lookout.
Research around the world have proven that a high metabolic rate is directly proportional to a happy and healthy life. Never lose a chance to get out of that couch and go wandering in nature as the more advanced humanity is getting, the more distant it seems from nature and good values. A bike ride or a stroll here and there will benefit you in the long run, especially when your peers are having difficulties getting out of bed, you’ll be as fit and young as any millennial, only if you exercise and have fun today. Don’t let electronic rectangle bind you to your bed, pull up your socks and visit Skidaway island today!